The Companies Act 2014 creates new company types to replace the current types. There are seven types of company registered in Ireland.
• LTD – Private Company Limited by Shares
• DAC – Designated Activity Company limited by shares or by guarantee (private limited companies but with specified objects)
• PLC – Public Limited Company
• PUC – Public Unlimited Company
• PULC – Public Unlimited Company with no share capital
• ULC – Private Unlimited Company
• CLG – Company Limited by Guarantee (these are public guarantee companies)
The most popular type of company incorporated is a LTD – Private Company Limited by Shares.